Wednesday 8 May 2013

Finding My Feet

Starting at a new University is a lot like starting at a new school. For most kids, this happens when they move from Primary to High School at a time where they are just discovering their own personal identity. During my move to Sydney and my subsequent arrival at a new University campus, the only benefit I had over a pre-pubescent teenager was that I already new who I was and who I wanted to be. Aside from this, my first day at my new Campus was just as terrifying as my first day at High School. I had no idea where to go, where to eat, where the bathroom was or who could potentially be a new friend.
Like my first day at High School, I was terrified that I would receive no help in getting my bearings and that the friends and guidance I longed to find would only be discovered after a lot of work and a lot of time. This fear proved to be completely unfounded! Not only were my new classmates helpful but they were downright friendly and caring! They showed me around, walked me to my classes and reassured me that my new campus would feel like home in no time at all. 
How right they were. In what seemed like no time at all, I had an amazingly strong and supportive group of friends who seemed not only happy to both guide me in my last year of Primary Education but also support me in finding my feet in both a new city and a new education system. To my surprise, this support has not faded since the first few weeks of my first semester at my new campus but has continued despite me well and truly finding my feet in Sydney. 

Thanks to the new friends I’ve made at ACU, this last semester at Uni has not only been the most enjoyable but also the most academically successful year of my degree so far. My success isn’t just because of my renewed drive and passion for my career but because of all the new friends I have made since my move to Sydney and all the support, time and care they have given me since my first day at ACU Strathfield.
To all these wonderful new friends I offer these words. 
“Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest... It's about who came, and never left your side”.


By Matt Russo

No comments:

Post a Comment