Wednesday 4 September 2013

Laura - July's Blog Post


Hi there Pinnacle people,

I will try and keep this short and sweet.

Sorry I have been off the radar for a while - I have been extremely busy doing my course work, placement, looking for work and everything else in between. However all this hard work is starting to finally pay off. I recently got my first job in the community service sector as an agency residential care worker. This job has given me the opportunity to work with youth, refugees and homeless women. Not only am I increasing my experience but my confidence as well.

Yes I work crazy hours and travel long distances and at times it does take its toll on me but it is very safe to say I love my job and the challenges it comes with it. Being a residential care worker gives me a sense of purpose. I often get thrown in the deep end however I surprise myself.

I am starting to feel more like a young adult and more independent. I have a place to call home, I have a lovely girlfriend, I’m still studying, I have a job that I am happy with, and a driver’s license. It doesn’t get much better than that. Things are falling into place. I owe it all to my partner Alex, The Pinnacle Foundation, my mentor Lauren, Latitude Directions for young people, and past and present lectures/ teachers and many other’s for supporting me and not giving up on me. I cannot thank you all enough. Finally I would like to thank Welfare Personnel Australia for taking a chance on me and giving me an opportunity to prove myself.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment